Solutions is a nonprofit print and online publication devoted to showcasing bold and innovative ideas for solving the world's integrated ecological, social, and economic problems.
Our mission is to provide a forum for developing and discussing seriously creative ideas to solve society's most pressing problems in an integrated way.
What makes us unique
- Solutions is a hybrid peer-reviewed journal and popular magazine (think Nature meets the New Yorker). It is on the web, on newsstands, and in libraries. It’s intended to allow serious, creative dialogue and discussion at the highest level across a range of perspectives, while still being understandable and engaging to the lay public. It moves beyond the current culture of argument that casts even the most complex problems as polarizing debates.
- It focuses on real, integrative solutions. Our rule of thumb for articles is no more than one-third of the paper should describe the problem, while at least two-thirds should be devoted to solutions.
- We use a more constructive review process that encourages reviewers to not only critically evaluate articles but to contribute to the ongoing discussion in creative ways, including publishing accompanying "In Focus" pieces or even becoming coauthors.
- We are a nonprofit and are using a “public radio” model for much of our funding: individual, business, and institutional sponsorships and grants allow the website to remain free, open access, and unbiased.
- We have sponsorships and partnerships with a broad range of businesses, institutions, and academic societies, allowing us to function as a community space while bridging the gap between a variety of perspectives.
- Print subscription prices are kept low for both individuals ($30/yr) and institutions ($300/yr) to ensure that the ideas featured in Solutions will be as widely available as possible.
- We use the creative commons share licensing system (“copylefting” rather than copyrighting) to spread information more broadly while maintaining appropriate credit for authors.
- We have a world class, transdisciplinary, multisector editorial board to ensure that we have the best available ideas from a broad range of perspectives.
- Our hard-copy publication is printed on a Forest Stewardship Council certified paper stock.
Founded by Robert Costanza, David Orr, Paul Hawken and John Todd, the journal brings the cutting edge ideas of academics and professionals in the field to an audience of policy makers, business leaders, and engaged members of the public.
Launched in January 2010 as a bimonthly, the print journal was designed by award-winning graphic designer Terry Irwin. Our interactive website features our exclusive archive of peer-reviewed articles and our online community of fellow problem solvers.
Vision and Mission
Learn more about Solutions: our mission and our vision. Click here.
Learn more about the outstanding visionaries and leaders that make up our editorial board, including recent Nobel Prize winner Elinor Ostrom. Click here.
Meet the editors and management working to bring you Solutions. Click here.